INSTRUCTION TO AUTHORS
Manuscript must be accompanied by a covering letter to the Editor-in-Chief, including title and author(s) name and undertaking that it has not been published or submitted elsewhere. The text should be submitted in Microsoft Word format as an attachment. The figures should be sent in a format of JPEG or GIF which will produce high quality images in the online edition of the journal. Submission is acceptable via Journal URL: http:// www.koomeshjournal.semums.ac.ir.
- Aims and scope. Koomesh Journal accepts Original Papers, Review Articles, Short Communications and Letters to the Editor in the fields of medical sciences.
- Submission: Submission of a manuscript to the Koomesh journal implies that all authors have read and agreed to the content of the Covering Letter or the Terms and Conditions. It is a condition of publication that manuscripts submitted to this journal have not been published and will not be simultaneously submitted or published elsewhere. Plagiarism is strictly forbidden, and by submitting the article for publication the authors agree that the publishers have the legal right to take appropriate action against the authors, if plagiarism or fabricated information is discovered.
Examples of the reference format are shown below:
Brøsen K, Skjelbo E, Rasmussen BB, Poulsen HE, Loft S. Fluvoxamine is a potent inhibitor of cytochrome P۴۵۰۱A۲. Biochem Pharmacol ۱۹۹۳;۴۵:۱۲۱۱-۴.
- The manuscript should include: Title page; the Abstract; Introduction; Materials & Methods; Results; Discussion; Acknowledgement and References.
- The title page: The complete title of the manuscript, the name of all the authors with their highest qualifications, the department or institution to which they are attached, address for correspondence with telephone numbers, e-mail, and Fax number.
- The Abstract: All original articles must accompany a structured abstract up to ۲۵۰ words. It should be structured as Background, Methods, Results and Conclusion followed by ۳ to ۵ Keywords. Keywords will assist indexers in cross indexing the article as they are published with abstract. Use terms from the Medical Subject Headings (MeSH) list of index medicus (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/mesh/MBrowser.html ). Authors need to be careful that the abstract reflects the content of the article accurately.
- Introduction: This should summarize the purpose and the rationale for the study. It should neither review the subject extensively nor should it have data or conclusions of the study.
- Materials & Methods: This should include exact method or observation or experiment. If an apparatus is used, its manufacturer’s name and address should be given in parenthesis. If the method is established, give reference but if the method is new, give enough information so that another author is able to perform it. If a drug is used, its generic name, dose and route of administration must be given. For patients, age, sex with mean age ± standard deviation must be given. Statistical method must be mentioned and specify any general computer program used. The Info system used should be clearly mentioned.
- Results: It must be presented in the form of text, tables and illustrations. The contents of the tables should not be all repeated in the text. Instead, a reference to the table number may be given. Long articles may need sub-headings within some sections (especially the Results and Discussion parts) to clarify their contents.
- Discussion: This should emphasize the present findings and the variations or similarities with other work done in the field by other workers. The detailed data should not be repeated in the discussion again. Emphasize the new and important aspects of the study and the conclusions that follow from them. It must be mentioned whether the hypothesis mentioned in the article is true, false or no conclusions can be derived.
- Acknowledgement: All contributors who do not meet the criteria for authorship should be covered in the acknowledgement section. It should include persons who provided technical help, writing assistance and departmental head who only provided general support. Financial and material support should also be acknowledged.
- Tables: In limited numbers should be submitted with the captions placed above. Do not submit tables as photograph. Place explanatory matters in footnotes, not in the heading.
- Figures: Should be in limited numbers, with high quality art work and mounted on separate pages. The captions should be placed below. The same data should not be presented in tables, figures and text, simultaneously.
- References: Number the references consecutively in the order they appear for the first time in the text. References that are cited in table or figure texts should be numbered in accordance with the first appearance of the table or figure in question. References in the text must be cited with the appropriate number in square bracket. In case of more than one reference in one square bracket, the numbers must be separated by a comma, e.g. [۳, ۴, ۸]; In case of more than two consecutive reference numbers, use hyphen, e.g. [۶-۹]; Avoid abstracts and meeting proceedings as references; unpublished observations and personal communications must not be used as references. Accepted manuscripts that have not yet been published may appear in the reference list. Indicate journal name and year in question followed by "in press" in brackets. Articles published online are identified by their DOI (Digital Object Identifier System) reference (http://dx.doi.org/). Electronic material is cited like other literature. References should contain the names and initials of the first six authors only, followed by et al. if necessary, along with the complete title of the work, the abbreviated journal title, the year, volume number, and inclusive page numbers. Journal names should be abbreviated according to the system used in Index Medicus (Pubmed Service "Journals Database").
Rasmussen SG, Gether U. Purification and fluorescent labelling of the human serotonin transporter Biochemistry ۲۰۰۵;۴۴:۳۴۹۴-۵۰۵.
Winer BJ. Statistical principles in experimental design. New York: McGraw-Hill, ۱۹۷۱
Zanger UM, Eichelbaum M. CYP۲D۶. In: Levy RH, Thummel KE, Trager WF, Hansten PD, Eichelbaum M (eds). Metabolic Drug Interactions. Lippincott Williams & Willis Philadelphia PA ۲۰۰۲;۸۷-۹۴.
- Book chapter
Masmanian SK, Thon-That H, Schneewind O. Sortase catalysed anchoring of surface proteins to the cell wall of Stapylococcus aureus. Mol Microbiol ۲۰۰۱;۴۰:۱۰۴۹-۱۰۵۷.Doi: ۱۰.۱۰۴۶/j. ۱۳۶۵-۲۹۵۸.۲۰۰۱.۰۲۴۱۱.x
- DOI reference
http://www.imm.ki.se/CYPalleles /March ۲۰۰۶ ۱۵.
- Internet reference
- Proof Reading: A computer prints out is sent to the corresponding author for proof reading before publication in order to avoid any mistakes. Corrections should be marked clearly and sent immediately to the Journal office.
The entire contents of the Koomesh Journal are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non Commercial ۳.۰ Unported License which allows users to read, copy, distribute and make derivative works for non-commercial purposes from the material, as long as the author of the original work is cited properly.
- Abbreviations and symbols: Use only standard abbreviations. Avoid using them in the title and abstract. The full term for which an abbreviation stands should precede its first use in the text unless it is a standard unit of measurement. The corresponding author: Will be supplied with ۲۵ free reprints.
- Ethical guidelines: Ethical considerations must be addressed in the Materials and Methods section. ۱) Please state that informed consent was obtained from all human adult participants and from the parents or legal guardians of minors. Include the name of the appropriate institutional review board that approved the project. ۲) Indicate in the text that the maintenance and care of experimental animals complies with National Institutes of Health guidelines for the humane use of laboratory animals, or those of your Institute or agency.
- Conflicts of interest: Authors must acknowledge and declare any sources of funding and potential conflicting interest, such as receiving funds or fees by, or holding stocks and shares in, an organization that may profit or lose through publication of your paper. Declaring a competing interest will not lead to automatic rejection of the paper, but we would like to be made aware of it.
- Creative Commons Attribution-Non Commercial (CC BY-NC)
Author Contribution Statement
- Peer review process: All manuscripts are considered to be confidential. They are peer-reviewed by at least ۲ anonymous reviewers selected by the Editorial Board. The corresponding author is notified as soon as possible of the editor decision to accept, reject, or require modifications. If the manuscript is completely acceptable according to the criteria set forth in these instructions, it is scheduled for the next available issue.
- Disposal of material: Once published, all copies of the manuscript, correspondence and artwork will be held for ۶ months before disposal.
Koomesh requires that all authors take public responsibility for the content of the work submitted for review. The contributions of all authors must be described in the following manner: The authors confirm contribution to the paper as follows: study conception and design: X. Author, Y. Author; data collection: Y. Author; analysis and interpretation of results: X. Author, Y. Author. Z. Author; draft manuscript preparation: Y. Author. Z. Author. All authors reviewed the results and approved the final version of the manuscript. An author name can appear multiple times, and each author name must appear at least once.
For single authors, use the following wording: The author confirms sole responsibility for the following: study conception and design, data collection, analysis and interpretation of results, and manuscript preparation.
The Final Checklist: The authors must ensure that before submitting the manuscript for publication, they have taken care of the following:
- Title page should contain title, name of the author/co-authors, their qualifications, designation & institutions they are affiliated with and mailing address for future correspondence, E-mail address, Phone & Fax number.
- Abstract in structured format up to ۲۵۰ words.
- References mentioned as stated in the Instruction to Authors section.
- Tables should be typed on separate pages.
- Make sure for Headings of Tables, their numbers and Captions of illustrations. Don’t repeat the information in tables if it is covered in the text.
- Photographs / illustrations along with their captions.
- Manuscript in Triplicate
- Letter of Undertaking signed by all the authors.
- Disclosure regarding source of funding and conflict of interest if any besides approval of the study from respective
- Ethics Committee/Institution Review Board Covering Letter